2008 National Arbor Day Awards
If I Were a Tree by Dar Hosta
If I Were a Tree, by Dar Hosta of Flemington, NJ, will receive a Media Award, which is given in recognition of the power of the media to capture the imagination of the public. If I Were a Tree is a uniquely shaped book that is a celebration of trees. The book features verse and colorful collage illustrations showing trees through all seasons, and is geared for children ages 3 through 8.
This year’s winners are:
- Dr. Peter Raven of St. Louis, MO
- Buck Abbey of Baton Rouge, LA
- Jeunesse Park of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Debbie Mendelson of Woodside, CA
- Green Streets for Omaha, NE
- Long Island Nature Collaborative for Kids of Long Island, NY
- Kurt Berger of Sugar Grove, PA
- Johney Haralson of Denmark, SC
- The Ziolkowski Family of Crazy Horse, SD
- The City of Buffalo and Re-Tree Western New York of Buffalo, NY
- Johnson City Housing Authority of Johnson City, TN
- Rain to Recreation of Lenexa, KS
- The USDA Forest Service Living Memorials Project of Newtown Square, PA
- The Forest Where Ashley Lives by Mark and Ashley Vitosh of Ames, IA
- If I Were a Tree by Dar Hosta of Flemington, NJ
- Eastside Elementary School of Clewiston, FL
- Doubletree Hotels
- Home Depot Foundation
Award winners are recognized for their leadership in the cause of tree planting, conservation,and environmental stewardship.
Leaders in tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship from around the country and world are honored each year at our annual Arbor Day Awards celebration held in Nebraska City, Nebraska. The awards ceremony is part of the annual Arbor Day weekend celebration held at Lied Lodge & Conference Center.