2009 National Arbor Day Awards
Award for Education Innovation
Tahoma High School’s Outdoor Academy of Kent, WA
Tahoma High School’s Outdoor Academy is making a significant local impact. Teachers Mike Hanson, Tracy Krause and Jamie Vollrath started the program in 2004 to provide learning opportunities for young people in a natural setting. Each year, more than 85 students participate in the outdoor academy, which includes traditional classroom time and opportunities for students to apply what they have learned through hands-on activities outdoors. In just one year, students planted more than 10,000 seedlings as part of a habitat restoration project at Taylor Mountain.
The Kirkwood Junior TreeKeepers of Kirkwood, MO
The community of Kirkwood, MO, has discovered the benefits of having its young people learn the value of trees thanks to the Kirkwood Junior TreeKeepers program. The Junior TreeKeepers teach third- and fourth-grade students the fundamentals of forestry with a goal to inspire children to have a deeper appreciation of nature. Started by Bob McCoy in 2001, the Junior TreeKeepers have educated more than 1,700 students about the benefits of planting and caring for trees.
This year’s winners are:
- Robert Thibodeaux of Church Point, LA
- Michael Hardy of Philadelphia, PA
- The Streetscape Program of Fort Myers Beach, FL
- World Forum Foundation
- Blue Valley Ranch of Kremmling, CO
- The Village of Wilmette, IL
- Reforest the Bluegrass of Lexington, KY
- Fayetteville Natural Heritage Association of Fayetteville, AK
- The Hardwood Forestry Fund of Reston, VA
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana, Inc.
- Tahoma High School's Outdoor Academy of Kent, WA
- The Kirkwood Junior TreeKeepers of Kirkwood, MO
- Louisiana Public Broadcasting's documentary Return to the Forest Where We Live
- The International Society of Arboriculture's interactive “Planting and Early Care” series
- The Wild Trees, written by Richard Preston
- The City of Minneapolis, MN
- City of Olympia, WA
- Allstate Insurance Company
- Citi Cards
Award winners are recognized for their leadership in the cause of tree planting, conservation,and environmental stewardship.
Leaders in tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship from around the country and world are honored each year at our annual Arbor Day Awards celebration held in Nebraska City, Nebraska. The awards ceremony is part of the annual Arbor Day weekend celebration held at Lied Lodge & Conference Center.