2009 National Arbor Day Awards
Louisiana Public Broadcasting
The Louisiana Public Broadcasting’s documentary, Return to the Forest Where We Live, highlights the role trees play in creating healthier cities, and brings to light the impact trees have in large urban areas. This documentary challenges viewers to evaluate the importance of investing in healthy urban ecosystems, and examines tree issues facing post-Katrina New Orleans, urban growth in Charlotte, N.C., and tree practices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and Baltimore.
The International Society of Arboriculture
The International Society of Arboriculture is being honored for its Introduction of Arboriculture series, “Planting and Early Care” CD-ROM. Designed for experienced arborists and novice tree lovers, this series offers best practices in tree care in an easy-to-understand format. The “Planting and Early Care” lessons teach basic tree selection, proper planting practices, pruning tips and general tree-care tips when transplanting a tree.
The Wild Trees, written by Richard Preston, offers readers a rare glimpse into a fascinating world atop giant redwood trees along the West Coast. This is a story of two tree climbers, who discover another world living among the trees. They find gardens thriving in the treetops, and small trees growing in nooks and crannies high above the ground. Preston provides vivid descriptions of the world atop trees as he tells the story of the world’s most bold tree climbers.
This year’s winners are:
- Robert Thibodeaux of Church Point, LA
- Michael Hardy of Philadelphia, PA
- The Streetscape Program of Fort Myers Beach, FL
- World Forum Foundation
- Blue Valley Ranch of Kremmling, CO
- The Village of Wilmette, IL
- Reforest the Bluegrass of Lexington, KY
- Fayetteville Natural Heritage Association of Fayetteville, AK
- The Hardwood Forestry Fund of Reston, VA
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana, Inc.
- Tahoma High School's Outdoor Academy of Kent, WA
- The Kirkwood Junior TreeKeepers of Kirkwood, MO
- Louisiana Public Broadcasting's documentary Return to the Forest Where We Live
- The International Society of Arboriculture's interactive “Planting and Early Care” series
- The Wild Trees, written by Richard Preston
- The City of Minneapolis, MN
- City of Olympia, WA
- Allstate Insurance Company
- Citi Cards
Award winners are recognized for their leadership in the cause of tree planting, conservation,and environmental stewardship.
Leaders in tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship from around the country and world are honored each year at our annual Arbor Day Awards celebration held in Nebraska City, Nebraska. The awards ceremony is part of the annual Arbor Day weekend celebration held at Lied Lodge & Conference Center.