Wondering what a basic Arbor Day celebration looks like? Here’s a sample program to help you as you plan.
- Present the flag. Good choices for presenters include scouts or representative for veterans’ groups.
- Provide welcome remarks by an elected official or community leader.
- Read the Arbor Day Proclamation.
- Recognize a community good steward. Nominations can be accepted beforehand.
- Provide a few remarks about the importance of wise stewardship and the contribution made by trees.
- Plant a tree together.
- Read a brief Arbor Day history, stressing tree planting and wise environmental stewardship.
- Invite older members of the community to talk about past Arbor Day celebrations and tree plantings.
- Sing songs, read poems or present a play about trees.
- Recognize individual and group commitments to future stewardship projects.
- Retire the flag and sing a closing song.
- Provide seedlings or nursery gift certificates for those who want to plant a tree in their own yard.