2008 National Arbor Day Awards
J. Sterling Morton Award
Dr. Peter Raven
Raven has presided over the Missouri Botanical Garden for more than 36 years, and in that time he has seen the facility grow into a world-class center for botanical research, education, and horticulture display.
During his tenure, the Missouri Botanical Garden has become the leader in botanical research in Latin America, Africa, Asia, and North America. Raven champions research around the world to preserve endangered plants and animals, and he is a leading advocate for building a sustainable environment. In 2001, he received the National Medal of Science, the highest award for scientific accomplishment in the United States.
“Peter Raven’s commitment to preserving trees and the natural world has inspired generations of scientists and conservationists around the world,” said John Rosenow, chief executive of the Arbor Day Foundation. “His love of trees, and his desire to preserve and protect thousands of species is making a tremendous impact on the environment.”
This year’s winners are:
- Dr. Peter Raven of St. Louis, MO
- Buck Abbey of Baton Rouge, LA
- Jeunesse Park of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Debbie Mendelson of Woodside, CA
- Green Streets for Omaha, NE
- Long Island Nature Collaborative for Kids of Long Island, NY
- Kurt Berger of Sugar Grove, PA
- Johney Haralson of Denmark, SC
- The Ziolkowski Family of Crazy Horse, SD
- The City of Buffalo and Re-Tree Western New York of Buffalo, NY
- Johnson City Housing Authority of Johnson City, TN
- Rain to Recreation of Lenexa, KS
- The USDA Forest Service Living Memorials Project of Newtown Square, PA
- The Forest Where Ashley Lives by Mark and Ashley Vitosh of Ames, IA
- If I Were a Tree by Dar Hosta of Flemington, NJ
- Eastside Elementary School of Clewiston, FL
- Doubletree Hotels
- Home Depot Foundation
Award winners are recognized for their leadership in the cause of tree planting, conservation,and environmental stewardship.
Leaders in tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship from around the country and world are honored each year at our annual Arbor Day Awards celebration held in Nebraska City, Nebraska. The awards ceremony is part of the annual Arbor Day weekend celebration held at Lied Lodge & Conference Center.