2008 National Arbor Day Awards
Promise the Earth Award
Promise to the Earth Award
Doubletree Hotels launched a community outreach initiative in 2002 through the “Teaching Kids to Care” program, which has a mission to teach children about the importance of giving back in their own community. Since 2004, Doubletree has donated tree seedlings to schools, helped schools with special tree-planting events, provided opportunities for children to plant seedlings, and helped plant nearly 70,000 trees in America’s national forests. This year, Doubletree sponsored the production and launch of the new Nature Explore Traveling Exhibit, called “Exploring Trees Inside and Out.” Because of Doubletree’s generous contribution, thousands of children during the next three years will learn about the importance of nature.
Home Depot Foundation
The Home Depot Foundation is dedicated to creating healthy, livable communities through the integration of affordable housing built responsibly, and the preservation of community trees. In 2007 alone, the Foundation planted or restored more than 310,000 community trees and donated more than 530,000 hours of volunteer service by its employees. The Home Depot Foundation has teamed up with the Arbor Day Foundation for 36 tree-planting events since 2006 throughout the country aimed at improving the health of community forests and creating inspiring experiences for thousands of children and adult volunteers.
This year’s winners are:
- Dr. Peter Raven of St. Louis, MO
- Buck Abbey of Baton Rouge, LA
- Jeunesse Park of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Debbie Mendelson of Woodside, CA
- Green Streets for Omaha, NE
- Long Island Nature Collaborative for Kids of Long Island, NY
- Kurt Berger of Sugar Grove, PA
- Johney Haralson of Denmark, SC
- The Ziolkowski Family of Crazy Horse, SD
- The City of Buffalo and Re-Tree Western New York of Buffalo, NY
- Johnson City Housing Authority of Johnson City, TN
- Rain to Recreation of Lenexa, KS
- The USDA Forest Service Living Memorials Project of Newtown Square, PA
- The Forest Where Ashley Lives by Mark and Ashley Vitosh of Ames, IA
- If I Were a Tree by Dar Hosta of Flemington, NJ
- Eastside Elementary School of Clewiston, FL
- Doubletree Hotels
- Home Depot Foundation
Award winners are recognized for their leadership in the cause of tree planting, conservation,and environmental stewardship.
Leaders in tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship from around the country and world are honored each year at our annual Arbor Day Awards celebration held in Nebraska City, Nebraska. The awards ceremony is part of the annual Arbor Day weekend celebration held at Lied Lodge & Conference Center.