A fine landscape evergreen with lustrous green needles. Full branches, compact pyramid shape. Likes well-drained soils. Grows 50' to 60'. (zones 4-7)
The oriental spruce can be expected to grow in Hardiness Zones 4–7. View Map
This is an evergreen tree, keeping its foliage year-round.
The Oriental spruce grows to a height of 50–60' and a spread of 20–25' at maturity.
This tree grows at a slow rate, with height increases of less than 12" per year.
Full sun and partial shade are best for this tree, meaning it prefers a minimum of four hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight each day.
The Oriental spruce grows in acidic, loamy, moist, sandy, well-drained and clay soils.
Features lustrous dark green needles that are roughly ¼–½" in length with 1–4 stomatic lines on each side.
Holds its dark green color better than other spruces in the winter.
Yields short-stalked cones that are 2–4" long. They are reddish-purple when young, turning brown when mature.
Has a dense, compact habit with horizontal branches that are often pendulous.
Grows in a pyramidal shape.
Oriental spruce trees support a wide variety of wildlife. They are important as winter cover for deer and small game including grouse, hares and woodcocks. Song birds and fur bearers also frequent these forest types. The species is also included in a project to protect the biodiversity of Turkey by the Ministry of Forestry, and NGO's through local offices of the General Directorate of National Parks Game and Wildlife of the Ministry of Forestry. This project supports a number of treaties, including: 1) the Paris Convention for the protection of birds; 2) the Bern Convention to safeguard European Wildlife and their habitats; 3) the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands of International Importance; and 4) the convention to Control Desertification and the Convention on Biological Diversity. This tree is included in demonstration sites that include Important Bird Areas, significant both for migratory and breeding populations of birds.
Native to Asia Minor, this tree was introduced in 1827.