The Importance of Mulching
A newly planted tree’s best friend is mulch. It is very important to remember to mulch your tree after you have planted it.
Mulch is important to your tree's health because:
- Mulch insulates the soil helping to provide a buffer from heat and cold temperatures.
- Mulch retains water helping to keep the roots moist.
- Mulch keeps weeds out to help prevent root competition.
- Mulch prevents soil compaction.
- Mulch reduces lawn mower damage.
Steps to Adding Mulch Around Your Tree
- Add mulch to the base of your tree by removing any grass within a 3 to 10 foot area depending on the size of your tree.
- Pour natural mulch such as wood chips or bark pieces 2 to 4 inches deep within the circle.
- Keep the mulch from touching the trunk of the tree.
Learn proper tree watering practices.Next Tip: Tree Watering 9 Tree Care Tips: Table of Contents