Sources for More Information
Bulletin #68: How Communities Recover From Disasters
- Catastrophic Storms and Urban Forests. The 2008 report to the Secretary of Agriculture by the National Urban & Community Forestry Advisory Council.
- Urban Tree Risk Management: A Community Guide to Program Design and Implementation, Jill D. Pokorny, Coordinating Author (U.S. Forest Service). A comprehensive guide to tree risk assessment and management, something particularly important following disasters.
- Storm Response: Types of Storms and Their Effects on Trees by Geoff Kempter. This is the first of a 3-part series appearing in the International Society of Arboriculture’s Arborist News (June 2013). ISA members receive this monthly publication. Others should contact ISA at 888-472-8733.
Direct Links Related to Climate Change
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Union of Concerned Scientists
- University of Colorado’s website discussing climate change and offering many links to additional information.
- The National Wildlife Federation’s Climate Smart Conservation.
Storm Recovery Kit
Information for the mass media or individual property owners is available elsewhere on this Arbor Day Foundation website. Included are practical tips and downloadable articles and graphics ready for use by local newspapers or television stations affected by storms.
Also visit the reference page for Tree City USA Bulletin No. 2, ’When a Storm Strikes.‘
Links to additional information about cases presented in Bulletin 68
- New reports about the April, 2011 tornados in Alabama and other states in the South.
- The Alabama Tree Recovery Campaign.
- The City of New Orleans official site on regreening after Katrina.
- Additional information about Hike for KaTREEna fund-raising and other projects.
- Search online for “Bastrop Fire Complex” for more information and a number of follow-up reports.
- Plans and other efforts to counter the Emerald Ash Borer invasion:
- General Information
- An EAB Cost Calculator to help compare the costs of removal and replacement vs. treatments.
- Management plans, for use as examples, from Philadelphia
- The Urban Forest Strike Team.
Last Updated: 03/25/19