Sources for More Information
Bulletin #65: Create an Arboretum
- Planting and Maintaining a Tree Collection by Simon Toomer. Timber Press, Portland and London. 183 pp. (2010).
- Gardens Across America by Thomas S. Spencer and John J. Russell. American Horticulture Society (Includes 1,200 gardens and arboreta; Vol. 1, East, 460 pp.; Vol. 2, West, 361 pp.)
- Public Garden. Quarterly magazine of the American Public Gardens Association
Links to Important Organizations
- American Public Gardens Association
- American Horticulture Society
- Botanical Society of America
- The Morton Register and Accreditation Program - The Morton Register of Arboreta and the ArbNet Arboretum Accreditation Program are housed at the Morton Arboretum's ArbNet
Sources of Labels
Numerous companies and consultants provide signs and labels. The following is intended only as a sampler. A web search will provide others so you can compare services and prices.
- Aluma Photo-Plate Company
- MBG Interpretive Signs
- Nameplate and Panel Technology
- Tree/Plant/Wildlife ID Signs by David Arthur
Other Links of Interest
- Most arboreta have websites, and many also have support organizations. One example is the Arboretum Foundation that supports the Washington Park Arboretum in Seattle.
- Some state organizations provide exemplary encouragement and support for the creation of arboreta. Examples include the Tennessee Department of Agriculture and Oklahoma State University’s Oklahoma Botanical Garden & Arboretum.
Call 1-888-448-7337 Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM CST
Last Updated: 03/25/19