Sources for More Information
Bulletin #21: How Trees Can Save Energy
No pun intended, but today energy and energy conservation are hot topics. For additional information, research these topics via your favorite search engine.
- Energy-Saving Trees is a good place to start when planning to plant trees to save energy. This site will provide guidance for your specific property and show how utilities are partnering to help make it possible.
- Sacramento Tree Foundation is a leader in promoting tree shade to save energy.
- greenbuilder.com — This site will lead you to builders who specialize in the science and art of “green building” and building for sustainability. You will also find guidelines on shading, windbreaks, reflective materials and more.
- energy.gov will take you to the site of the U.S. Department of Energy. From here there are sites for consumers, educators, employers and others with an interest in energy conservation.
- http://epa.gov/heatisland/ is the Environmental Protection Agency’s site that focuses on trees and vegetation. There is a lot of valuable information here.
For more websites, enter “trees and energy savings” into your favorite search engine.
The Facts About Climate Change
For an excellent explanation about global warming and how trees help in the fight against it, please visit our climate change site.
The i-Tree Suite
Here is a link to free software programs that can be used to determine the contribution trees make to energy savings. The i-Tree suite of programs can be used in communities of any size and provides much more additional analysis of environmental benefits provided by trees.
Last Updated: 04/13/20