Sources for More Information
Bulletin #16: How to Recycle Shade Tree Materials
There is a wealth of information available about recycling wood and other yard or street vegetation. Here are some quick links to get started with stories and ideas that are both practical and inspiring.
- Utilizing Municipal Trees: Ideas From Across the Country
- Harvesting Urban Timber: A Guide to Making Better Use of Urban Trees
- The Practical Guide to Compost Marketing and Sales
The World of Wood Turning
There are wood turners in most communities and they are usually interested in obtaining parts of trees that have been removed from streets and parks. For information about this fascinating hobby and profession, visit the website of the American Association of Woodturners.
Examples of Organizations
Myriad organizations now exist to help local communities find ways to re-use wastes. Here are a few with Web sites worth visiting and that have links to many other sources:
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Keep America Beautiful
- National Recycling Coalition
- National Waste & Recycling Association
- Biodegradable Products Institute
Arbor Day Foundation’s Educational Programs
The Arbor Day Foundation is a leader in the wise use of renewable energy sources and wood waste.
- Explore the demonstration fuelwood plantation at Arbor Day Farm.
- Visit the Fuelwood Energy Plant Visitor Gallery at Lied Lodge & Conference Center. The entire conference center and lodge is heated by wood-derived energy, much of it from the wastes of a pallet mill.
Call 1-888-448-7337 Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM CST