Sources for More Information
Bulletin #59: Permaculture & the City
Welcome to the world of permaculture! Although the “man on the street” has most likely not heard this word and is not aware of its principles and practices, there is a cadre of people–both amateur and professional–that are heavily involved in its use and promotion. Below are some of the best leads into this interesting world of alternative land management.
Experts in permaculture have been rather prolific in writing books. Entry of the word “permaculture” in the search box at Amazon.com will bring up a number of currently-available books. Here are several we have found particularly insightful. The first two are by the founder of permaculture as we know it, and the third is by the author cited in the “principles” section of Tree City USA Bulletin No. 59. All three were published in Australia.
- Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison with Reny Mia Slay. Tagari Publications.
- Permaculture Two–Practical Design for Town and Country in Permanent Agriculture by Bill Mollison. Tagari Publications.
- Earth User’s Guide to Permaculture by Rosemary Morrow. Kangaroo Press, an imprint of Simon & Schuster.
- Food Not Lawns–How to Turn Your Yard into a Garden and Your Neighborhood into a Community by H.C. Flores. Chelsea Green Publishing Co.
- The Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen. Process Media.
- Forest Gardening–Cultivating an Edible Landscape by Robert Hart. Chelsea Green Publishing Co.
- Community Gardening. Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
- The National Agroforestry Center publishes a series of leaflets about Working Trees.
- A similar 4-page leaflet that lists species for edible landscapes suitable for the Midwest is Edible Woody Landscapes for People and Wildlife.
Permaculture–Inspiration for Sustainable Living
This quarterly magazine is published in the United Kingdom by Permanent Publications. However, North American subscribers may order it from Disticor Direct (1-877-474-3321 or exacteditions.com).
Phil Forsyth, Designer
4808 Florence Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19143.
Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute
Some Other Excellent Web Links
- Fruit Tree Planting Foundation
- Philadelphia Orchard Project
- Neighborhood Fruit
- Holistic Orchard Network
- The Transition Town Movement (Transition United States)
- Village Homes, Davis, California
- Bees Online
Visit the Arbor Day Foundation Tree Health Guide
An online Tree Care Guide has been developed to help you find immediate access to a network of professional arborists, foresters, and Cooperative Extension agents to provide effective best management practices for insect problems and plant diseases.
Call 1-888-448-7337 Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM CST
Tree City USA is an Arbor Day Foundation program in cooperation with: