Benefits of the Tree City USA Program
The Tree City USA program provides direction, assistance and national recognition for your community. It’s the framework for a healthy, sustainable urban forestry program in your town. And the benefits are substantial.
- cost Reduce costs for energy, stormwater management, and erosion control. Trees yield 3–5 times their cost in overall benefits to the city.
- lightbulb Cut energy consumption by up to 25%. Studies indicate that as few as three additional trees planted around each building in the United States could save $2 billion annually in energy costs.
- house Boost property values across your community. Properly placed trees can increase property values from 7–20%. Buildings in wooded areas rent more quickly, and tenants stay longer.
- heart Build stronger ties to your neighborhood and community. Trees and green spaces directly correlate to greater connections to neighbors.
- city Honor your community and demonstrate your commitment to a healthier environment through Arbor Day celebrations and Tree City USA recognition.
- checkcalendar Benefit from a framework for action provided by the four core standards. Many communities use the Tree City USA standards as a way to begin caring for city trees. Others regularly enhance urban forest management through improved ordinances, innovative programs and increased emphasis on planting and care.
- openbook Educate people living in your city about the value of trees and the importance of sustainable tree management. Annual participation as a Tree City USA community provides this opportunity and makes it easier to engage individuals and organizations throughout the city. Tree City USA status can also create a strong working relationship with your state forestry agency and other groups.
- flag Improve community pride. Participation in the Tree City USA program helps residents feel good about the place they live and work. Annual recognition shows visitors and prospective residents that trees, conservation, and the environment are important to your community.
- like Gain publicity with recognition materials. Tree boards, parks departments, public works officials and volunteers are recognized for the valuable work they provide to the community. Many communities share their Tree City USA recognition across city departments as well as with elected officials, students and business leaders.
Tree City USA is an Arbor Day Foundation program in cooperation with: