2007 National Arbor Day Awards
Good Steward Award
James Huff, Taylorsville, Mississippi
James Huff of Taylorsville, Miss., Bob and Margaret Kintigh of Springfield, Ore., and Steve Woodard of Cottage Grove, Ore., are the recipients of the Good Steward Award. The award honors those who practice stewardship through conservation work on private land.
Huff is a pine tree farmer and a noted conservationist who believes no portion of a tree should go unused. He has planted countless trees, not only on his land but he also helps others. Even though his farm was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, Huff helped others plant trees. He served on the Rebuilding Commission for the State of Mississippi following Katrina.
Bob & Margaret Kintigh, Springfield, OregonBob and Margaret Kintigh were named the 2006 Tree Farmers of the Year by the American Forest Foundation. Through careful tree-planting efforts, the Kintighs turned their ranch into a productive Christmas tree farm. Bob worked as an state senator from 1997–99, and was instrumental in creating the Oregon Afforestation Act of 1995 that provides landowners incentives to plant trees not currently supporting a forest.
Steve Woodard, Cottage Grove, Oregon
Woodard, a retired Oregon State University extension forester, owns a 200-acre tree farm in Lane County, Ore. He selectively harvests about 30 truckloads of wood each year while he reforests that land with about 7,000 mixed conifers each year. He has also created ponds and wetlands to improve habitat for deer, ducks and other wildlife species. He spearheaded the effort to provide logs and timbers for Lied Lodge & Conference Center, and even donated a truckload of giant logs from his own property.
This year's winners are:
- Sebastian Chuwa, Moshi, Tanzania
- Ray Tretheway, Sacramento, California
- Ruth A. Wilson, Bowling Green, Ohio
- Majora Carter, Bronx, New York
- James Huff, Taylorsville, Mississippi
- Bob & Margaret Kintigh, Springfield, Oregon
- Steve Woodard, Cottage Grove, Oregon
- Mississippi Audubon, Moss Point, Mississippi
- NFL Environmental Program, Warwick, Rhode Island
- Planting for Growth, Weed, California
- Sycamore Land Trust, Bloomington, Indiana
- Earl & Wanda Barrs, Buckley County, Georgia
- City of Kent Youth Tree Education Program, Kent, Washington
- Tree Amigos 4H Club, Anniston, Alabama
- Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- The Tree Farmer by Chuck Leavell & Nicholas Cravotta, Macon, Georgia
- TREE: A New Vision of the American Forest by James Balog, Boulder, Colorado
- TREEmendous Arbor Day, Arapahoe, Nebraska
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car
- Home Depot Foundation
Award winners are recognized for their leadership in the cause of tree planting, conservation,and environmental stewardship.
Leaders in tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship from around the country and world are honored each year at our annual Arbor Day Awards celebration held in Nebraska City, Nebraska. The awards ceremony is part of the annual Arbor Day weekend celebration held at Lied Lodge & Conference Center.