Benefits of Participation in the Tree Line USA Program
Recognizing best practices in utility arboriculture.
For Utility Companies:
- Lower line clearance costs resulting from proper pruning.
- Improved rights-of-way management as a result of "right tree, right place" plantings
- Increased public exposure by meeting Tree Line USA requirements, resulting in community tree planting and public education
- Lower peak energy demand through increased canopy and better placement of trees
- Increased reliability of service because properly pruned and maintained trees with healthy root systems will mean less decay and structural weakness, and fewer downed lines during storms
- Collaborative urban forest management opportunities between the utility and other groups that impact community trees
- More trees will help absorb carbon dioxide produced by power plants that burn fossil fuels
- Healthier and more abundant community forests
- Reduced tree mortality resulting from proper pruning and trenching/ tunneling practices
- Increased reliability of service because properly pruned and maintained trees result in fewer downed lines during storms
- Reduced energy costs to consumers through strategically planted trees for energy conservation and a broader urban forest canopy
- Reduced heat island effect as a result of more shaded pavement