Arbor Day Foundation
What makes us unique? The Arbor Day Foundation is the largest nonprofit tree-planting organization, with nearly one million members planting eight million trees per year. We strive to advance celebration of Arbor Day, our nationï¿½s oldest environmental holiday. Arbor Day is celebrated in all 50 states and reaches around the world.
Why do we exist? The Arbor Day Foundation exists to fulfill the vision of Arbor Dayï¿½s founder, J. Sterling Morton, best described by our mission: ï¿½We inspire people to plant, nurture, and celebrate trees.ï¿½ We help people plant and care for trees and encourage the celebration of Arbor Day to encourage environmental stewardship for the benefit of this and future generations.
Why support us? We do what we say we will do. The Foundation uses more than 89% of donated funds to directly support our tree planting and environmental programs.
What have we done? Since our beginning in 1972, The Arbor Day Foundation has worked hard to fulfill our mission to plant trees. We have reached many people of all ages and walks of life throughout America. We are proud of our 34-year history and accomplishments. Each year, we:
- Replant trees in Americaï¿½s National Forests that have been damaged by fire, insect or disease. An estimated 6 million trees have been planted in the past 16 years.
- Reach nearly 2 million fifth-grade students in 76,000 classrooms through the Arbor Day National Poster Contest.
- Recognize over 3,000 communities populated by more than 93 million Americans through the Tree City USAï¿½ program.
- Work with The Nature Conservancy, Conservation International, and local nongovernmental organizations to preserve rain forest land through Rain Forest Rescueï¿½ and support farmers through sales of Arbor Dayï¿½ Coffee. More than 48,000 acres of rain forest land have been preserved so far!
- Provide a wide range of opportunities for continuing education and development to professionals and laymen, including regional seminars and annual conferences on a variety of tree- and community-related topics.
- Recognize leaders in tree planting, conservation, and environmental stewardship from around the world at the annual Arbor Day Awards celebration.
For Media inquiries, click here to email us.