Enterprise Rent-A-Car Foundation Fact Sheet
What is the 50 Million Tree Pledge?
In celebration of its 50th anniversary, Enterprise Rent-A-Car has made an unprecedented gift to The Arbor Day Foundation (NADF)– committing to fund the planting of 50 million trees over the next 50 years at a total cost of $50 million in today’s dollars.
Each year for the next 50 years, The Arbor Day Foundation will work with the United States Forest Service to plant one million trees in National Forests around the country. The gift will also fund tree-planting initiatives in international locations where Enterprise serves customers, including Europe and Canada.
WHERE WILL THE TREES BE PLANTED?
Enterprise Rent-A-Car works with The NADF to determine the National Forests and planting projects with the greatest and most immediate needs. This year’s projects focus on post-fire reforestation. In addition, this year the first European plantings of the program will take place with the development of a woodland area in Scotland:
- Custer National Forest (Montana and South Dakota)
- Lassen NationalForest (California)
- Sequoia National Forest (California)
- San Bernardino National Forest (California)
- Wallowa-Whitman National Forest (Oregon and Idaho)
- Kamloops Indian Band Reserve (British Columbia, Canada)
- Loch Lomond & the Trossachs National Park (Scotland)
Last year, trees were planted in areas destroyed by forest fires in California, Colorado, Oregon, and British Columbia, as well as a longleaf pine restoration project in Alabama and creation of habitat in Michigan for the endangered Kirtland’s Warbler.
Why is Enterprise Rent-A-Car planting trees?
The need for reforestation is great. And the positive impact trees make on the world is immense – from cleaning the air and helping to maintain a clean water supply to combating soil erosion and providing habitats for birds and other animals.
Enterprise recognizes that the cars it operates have an impact on the environment. Through their natural ability to clean the air, trees help minimize that impact. While planting a million trees a year is not a complete solution, 50 million trees over the next 50 years is a step in the right direction.
Who’s behind the 50 Million Tree Pledge?
The 50 Million Tree Pledge is a public/private partnership between Enterprise Rent-A-Car (funds the program), The Arbor Day Foundation (selects the planting areas), and the United States Forest Service (does the planting).
Rent-A-Car doing anything else to help the environment?
The 50 Million Tree Pledge complements a range of other Enterprise Rent-A-Car initiatives, including:
- $25 million gift to The Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, a leading bio-tech research center, to create the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Institute for Renewable Fuels to fund the center’s bio-fuels research capabilities. This follows a previous $10 million gift to the Center.
- $30 million gift to the Missouri Botanical Garden to fund worldwide plant research.
- $5 million gift for the long-term preservation of Forest Park in St. Louis, one of the country’s largest urban parks.
How can I get involved or learn more?
For Media inquiries, click here to email us.